I think you should use sendMailFromScreen or sendMail method of
EmailServices. It automatically creates the communication event for you.
you should pass the required parameters to it to make sure you are able to
track the message chain (check 'messageId' which is set in the mail header
while replying)

--
Thanks,
Deepak Agarwal,