If the companies belonging to the organisation are separate legal entities
it might be unwanted (business risk wise)  to share the same system. Great
burdens will be there to prove that separations of functions and processes
have been implemented correctly.

Sharing the same codebase, but in separate instantiations, might be wiser
in that case. Sending documents related to transactions ( via web services)
is fairly easy to achieve. This also applies to reporting.

In the IMAGINE project regarding Dynamic Manufacturing Networks we are
currently working on a proof of concept  where one OFBiz instantiation (the
customer) creating artefacts (tenders, opportunities) in its tenant
environment automatically sees its public document in another (shared
OFBiz) instantiation, and when a potential partner associates a particular
document to himself it automatically creates a new document in his own
OFBiz instantiation with his own perspective applied. The same applies to
contracts, orders, invoices, returns, work assignments, etc.

--
Pierre Smits

ApacheCon EU 2012 <http://www.apachecon.eu> - Sinsheim, Germany
Apache OFBiz <http://ofbiz.apache.org>