Hi Skip:
For what it is worth, I had the same issue and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was see these messages. I also would be interested in knowing where (and why) this message is being thrown since if you read the message content, there doesn't seem to be anything "invalid" about the HTML.

FYI - To get rid of this annoying message, I ended up setting the the ESAPI.properties file entry:

LogLevel=ERROR

So at least the error messages were not being displayed.

Hope that helps.
Ruth Hoffman
That was obvious to me because of a line I left out of error message:

ValidationException @ org.owasp.esapi.reference.DefaultValidator.getValidSaf
eHTML(null:-1)

However, that puts me no closer to understanding where it is coming from
originally.  This function is called originally in ModelService .validate
and there is a line of code there that sez something like
if(errorMessageList.size() > 0) thow ...

There are no exceptions in the log and no user has reported one.  I am just
seeing this on the console screen.

So, how do I find out which service is causing this?

Skip