I have done several companies that all sold physical goods.  I am now doing
another that sells things, but also provides services that do not include
physical goods.  Some of these services are normal "by the hour" labor.
Another is a fixed price to perform a particular service.  They also provide
labor whose price changes depending on which machine is used to perform the
service, essentially renting the machine and the operator.  In another case,
they have a fixed price to do a specific job.

This is a highly technical business, so forgive the examples:

1.  Hourly rate to lazer cut parts from sheet metal stock.  (Hourly rate on
a specific machine)
2.  Hourly rate to clean and polish finished products.  (Standard labor)
3.  Radius a 1/2 inch endmill.                                  (Fixed price
for labor, they have hundred
of these)

I would like to keep this as simple as possible and re-use as much code as I
can from previous installations.  I am thinking of creating Products as
SERVICE items for each of these and doing no additional modifications.

Anyone have experience implementing SERVICE items with some pointers to
possible pitfalls?

Thanks in advance

Skip