I would suggest an virtual meeting as an alternative so that the team can decide on scope, initial tasks, priorities and project management structure. This should be followed by a note to the ML summarizing the discussion and decisions taken and could include an invitation to others to participate.

This might save several weeks of dancing on the ML.

Ron