Adrian,

Not only do you need a tax authority (set up in accounting), and a product
category for products that are taxable, but you need to connect the two as
well.

See this example:
http://demo-stable-ofbiz.apache.org/accounting/control/EditTaxAuthorityCategories?taxAuthPartyId=UT_UTAH_TAXMAN&taxAuthGeoId=UT-UTAH

Also, you'll need to set the percentage, see this example:
http://demo-stable-ofbiz.apache.org/accounting/control/EditTaxAuthorityRateProducts?taxAuthPartyId=UT_UTAH_TAXMAN&taxAuthGeoId=UT-UTAH

I trust that helps.

Regards,

Pierre Smits