> I can image that you would feel that 'accept' is better than 'follow' with
> respect to advice. But it still sounds that you want a contributor to
> comply to your advice.

Then your interpretation is incorrect.  A willingness to discuss contentious
changes with an open mind is all I asked for.

> We are dealing with people here who can make sound
> judgement calls whether or not to accept and act accordingly. The
> participants within this community are not sheep.

No they aren't and I haven't said anything to imply that they are.

> You are making more of this than it should be.

I am?  I'm just trying to answer your questions, I'm really not making anything
out of this.

> My advice to you is to relax your viewpoint on this and any contributor
> showing commitment to the project.

Are you saying we should accept contributors who aren't willing to discuss
contentious changes with an open mind?  That would seem strange to me.

One big issue with adding more committers is that we currently have a very low
commit:review ratio.  Reviewing commits and dealing with any ensuing discussion
is a very time consuming affair and very few existing committers and almost no
contributors participate in that effort.  Increasing the number of committers
only increases that burden on the few reviewers we have and leads to a
situation where committers can make almost any changes they like without being
questioned.  This potentially decreases the quality of the code base and
results in a less maintainable and usable project.  The problem is only
exacerbated if we have lots of committers who aren't willing to discuss their
work with an open mind.

Regards
Scott