"...used throughout the industry" is known as argumentum ad populum --
and besides it isn't even a very accurate assertion.  Perhaps Mr. Z is
referring to the use of Confluence within the ASF, and "available
support" is of course a decent argument for sticking with wiki-only
documentation as long as the ASF provides superlative infrastructure &
support.  Otherwise it <i>will</i> become a sticky wiki wicket that
offers only greater long-term restrictions than something like
single-sourced DITA or Docbook (even with adequate wiki support the
writing as it were appears to be on the proverbial wall regarding
technical communication trends).

There is such a thing as change management.  Indeed, if there were no
such thing, bureaucracy would grind all potential change to a permanent
halt.  Change for change's sake is a business management pitfall,
obviously, so it comes down to a decision about whether the project has
enough resources to spare for investigating DITA (which is gaining
popularity among tech writers more than any similar typing architecture
or proprietary wiki engine).

"Change because there's something new to try" is a management no-no.

"Don't change because everyone is used to the old way" is a management
no-no.

I am ignorant about this project's current resources or ultimate
aspirations.  I'm guessing that open source human resources are scarce,
which typically means (at least in the software game) that documentation
gets tartarooed toward "oh, anyone can whip up some documentation during
the final days before release" oblivion.  Fair enough, and contributors
are being generous with improvements to the documentation as it exists
right now, so if resources are less than available for appropriate
change management commitment then the existing wiki is the way to go for
the next few years.  As a tech writer, though, one with experience
stretching back to the 80s, I am confident asserting that after "the
next few years" a proprietary wiki engine, when compared with
single-sourced XML markup that can target multiple output formats, will
come to be seen as more of an anchor than a lifeline.  Perhaps a few
years out is a reasonable dart-toss goal for a documentation change
management sub-project.

Aside: my "two cents" OFBiz wish list has CMIS integration at the top
(minor sub-project with a large potential end user payoff), as well as
something like <a href="https://coreos.com/"; target="_blank">CoreOS</a>
integration right beneath that (major sub-project with a ginormous
potential end user & dev-ops payoff).  I try, of course, to be one of
those "take what I can and be thankful" users because my typical open
source contributions amount to cybergum-flapping opinions.