Yes, I was able to remove the need for custom XSLT processing by being a bit smarter about the XML output plug-in so that it has enough flexibility to produce a file that the entity-engine should be able to read.

One can configure the root element name and the data element name so one produce the XML required when the data is output from the datastore's tabular structure. This means that data importing/conversion can be done without knowing any Java or XSLT.

The downside is that it produces a file for each entity type and they have to be imported in the right sequence. However each file is easy to check visually since it will consist of record of a single entity type and the process can spit out tablular reports of the attributes as columns in parallel with the xml. This will help in conversion projects where thousands of customers, supplier or products have to be added and verified.

That should help make it easier for non-programmers to generate test data and demo data. One still has to know the entity definitions and the relationships between entities but not XSLT or Java.

Is my interpretation of the Party model as it applies to Customers accurate?
Ruth gave me some valuable hints and wrote a short document that was very helpful and I found some recent articles and a book extract by Len Silverston that were very instructive. I still had to make some assumptions about the business case (Does the use case allow for multiple contacts at the same customer? I originally thought "no" but changed it so that it will and assigned each of the initial contacts as "Buyers".
Probably could assign more roles but that is easy to do if required.

Ron