Hi Ged

As Pierre has already responded about the categories I wont add any more and
I hope it has helped you understand the categories a bit more. (Thanks
Pierre)

You mention that you already have some existing product categories that dont
map (but you can create you own in order to classify your products), and a
product can have mulitple categories.

I think the special categories are more related to the e-commerce site where
they are used by customers to locate things. A customer will be more
interested in being able to find products on the e-commerce site (so your
Default Search is used there).  You may not want all your products in the
default search category because you may have products that you dont on sell
to customers such as stationery etc for internal use. You will buy then from
a supplier but not sell them to a customer.

Perhaps I've strayed a bit off topic but I hope this also helps give a bit
more context.

Thanks
Sharan