Skip,

I fear that you may be right with regards to minilang and the community,
though luckily with your own projects you can set your own standards. I
learned the hard way that minilang leads to more cluttered code and though
there are some benefits (the automapping of service maps or entity-auto for
creating crud services), I would strongly recommend anyone to rather invest
the time into proper java or groovy code.

As for the use of widgets over ftl, perhaps it is worth noting that we
streamlined both for Scipio ERP. They share the same underlying set of
macros and will create the hence create the same HTML & classes as are
defined by your theme. So if people prefer to use widgets, they can. We
relied on this, when cleaning up & converting usable screens alot, as not
always it would make sense to transfer them to ftl.

That being said, our goal is to further replace widgets by ftl logic as we
move along. For both minilang and widgets the reason on our end is that
neither technology is used anywhere outside of the ofbiz project and thus
adds to the overall learning-curve for newcomers. We much rather rely on
trusted alternatives that are easier to pick up for our project ;)

Cheers,
Paul