I did a quick search for a dog food solution within the ASF, and found this page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/plugins/viewsource/viewpagesrc.action?pageId=92973

It points toward a project hosted outside the ASF, and codehaus.org appears to be temporarily unresponsive (at least on my end), but that Smooks thing might represent an alternative.