Hi James ,

We use a "frontend" apache that "ProxyPass" es to backend tomcat .
it is possible to configure N number of virtual hosts on frontend proxying
to the backend .

It is also possible to use virtual hosting on both the servers (frontend
apache)
and backend (tomcat) , in that case you can keep ProxyPreserveHost On
in case of apache.

Such an arrangement helps in scaling as a light weight frontend server
can be spawned in large number of processes or threads but not the
heavyweight backend.

it certain scenarios, such a setup helps in management of SSL certificates
also.

regds
mallah.