Hi Randy

We have done something similar but using Product Features to drive the dropdown and Product Variants for each type, this supports search as expected too since features are added to search criteria as product keywords. Turning on layered navigation and creating custom filters in LayeredNavBar.ftl gives you a filter list, it might be possible to build a range filter that way.

Jason