Richard,
If you are trying to review some data then SQL fits for you. Otherwise use
delegator object to do that. There are several examples which uses the
delegator to fetch, store, remove the data from database.

Please check Find Services and CRUD services to see how it is working.
Groovy and Java engine examples best suite for you.

Best Regards,
--
Rishi Solanki
*CTO, Mindpath Technology*