Hi Ed,

thanks for your ideas.

About idea no 1:
That is an interesting idea, however it won't be possible that you provide
a "free to choose" bandwidth for each user.
The background is: Every stream that any client consumes has to be created
somewhere.
So what could be realized is that every stream that is broadcasted from one
user via webcam to Red5/OpenMeetings will be re-transcoded into multiple
streams (high, middle, low) bandwidth.

So there might be some limitations to that:
 - "high" quality will never be better then the original material. We can't
make a picture better then the original. So all re-transcoding will only
make the original to lower quality, never to higher.
 - Re-transcoding has to happen on the server side (and number of streams
are limited, we can't provide a stream on the required bandwidth
"on-demand" for each user, or only with very big effort)
 - it will require real-time transcoding on server side which is possible
with FFMPEG and some integration into Red5. But we would need a very
specialized student that is keen and very motiviated as there is hardly any
documentation on that available in the internet.
What a project makes a success is if all participant know the potential
outcome and the tools and methods that are needed to realize that. I would
be happy to put this project on our list but it will be difficult to find
somebody with the needed skills.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Wagner