Hi,

The problem is that it depends so much on the AD structure that it is difficult to cover all possible setups.

I think the best way to prepare the setup is to use an LDAP browser such as LDAPExplorer tool:
* install http://ldaptool.sourceforge.net/
* Ask your AD administrator for a UserDN that can be used to connct to the directory such as:
CN=MyPowerUser,CN=Users,DC=myDomainPart1,DC=myDomainPart2,DC=myDomainPart3
* Check if SSL can be used or not (usually not using anonymous bind)
* check the BaseDN that will be used, usually
DC=myDomainPart2,DC=myDomainPart3

Once connected with LdapExplorer, browse the directory to check if you can see the users. If you can't, then:
* double check the search BaseDN, and try an "upper" basseDN
* doubleCheck with your AD administrator that the CN=MyPowerUser account has the right to read the directory

Once you've done these tests, post your results on the list and we'll help define your best setup for OM.

My 2 cents,
Thibault