I was using the old edge. On the new edge the mic is not activated by default, but it can be turned on and the icon changes to the colored icon with slash, and it works.

Quoting Maxim Solodovnik <solomax...@gmail.com>:

What Edge are you using? Super new Edge https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge or old Edge?

   I see the issue with auto-start in Chrome
please file JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS- will investigate ASAP