Dear Maxim,

For some of my online apps, I have well defined databases of users with
their specific IDs.  So, when I connect them to OM via REST, I assign a
modified version of their IDs to the 'externalId' parameter. That creates a
new record for the given user in the OM database. Subsequently, when the
same user connects, no new copies of the same user are created. This is
very good.

But in one app, I have the ability for guests to connect, who are not
members of my app.  In that case, I initially was creating random
'externalId' values for them. I noticed that this causes OM to create a new
record in the OM database each time the same individual connects. So, I had
many copies of the same person created, cluttering my database. Not so good.

A solution I found is that for each non-member guest, I assign the same
value to the 'externalId', e.g. 'externalId': 'guest'.  This seems to be
working well, and it does NOT clone the same poor individual a multitude of
times.

I just wanted to confirm with you that this would be an alright solution
and would not cause any conflicts or crashes (i.e., assigning the same
externalId for unregistered guest users).

Thank you!
Robert.