Hi Jeffry,

there is a discussion here that I think is worth reading and digesting
before jumping into setting up a potential costly infrastructure:
https://markmail.org/message/w55hh7ri2tmtlnvt

Especially if you are thinking of adding 3rd party software to support the
clustering.

Zookeeper I assume you referring to Apache Zookeeper which is mostly a file
sync helper. While the problem that Hazelcast in OpenMeetings solves is
around sharing in-memory Java objects across multiple Java Application
Servers.

So the use-cases are quite different. Zookeeper _could_ replace the sharing
of mounted drives (that are also part of the OpenMeetings Clustering). This
might be useful in case you can't physically mount drives across different
regions because of network restrictions. But it is probably not required
(or can be achieved by other more simple means)
Eg: Your terminology around regions and subnets suggests you are using AWS.
Which probably has easier ways to share file systems or block storage
across machines (and regions).

As for general clustering and scaling up with multi-region (as well as
going up to several 1000++ users) I would suggest reading the above link,
especially around different modes of Clustering OpenMeetings. Eg
essentially OpenMeetings consists of 2 different application servers:
Tomcat/Java and KMS. They scale very differently. While in a scenario with
2 servers this is not much relevant, if you go to 4,5,6 instances it will
become quite relevant quickly.

As well as the ability to actually verify and test the configuration (and
any potential scaling events) (see performance testing results linked in
above email thread).

So I would start thinking about those topics.

Thanks
Seb

Sebastian Wagner
Director Arrakeen Solutions, OM-Hosting.com
http://arrakeen-solutions.co.nz/
https://om-hosting.com - Cloud & Server Hosting for HTML5
Video-Conferencing OpenMeetings
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/da4e8828-743d-4968-af6f-49033f10d60a/public_url>