Wow, that's really awesome, Josh. Nice work. Can you let us know
if/when it makes it in?

One modification you may want to consider in a future revision to
protect yourself in case the SYSTEM.CATALOG schema changes down the
road: Use the DatabaseMetaData APIs[1] instead of querying the
SYSTEM.CATALOG table directly. You can access this through the
Connection (connection.getMetaData()).

Just a wild guess, but for the zookeeper exception you mentioned that
can be ignored, is it maybe related to not setting the
hbase.master.info.port to -1?

Thanks,
James

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html