I can volunteer to spend some time on this.

CDH artifacts are available in Maven repo but from reading other threads on
CDH-Phoenix compatibilty, it looks like there are some code changes to be
made in Phoenix to successfully compile against CDH.

Here are questions to address:
1) How to maintain CDH compatible Phoenix code base?
2) Is having a CDH compatible branch even an option?

Krishna