Around 1400 mappers sounds about normal to me -- I assume your block
size on HDFS is 128 MB, which works out to 1500 mappers for 200 GB of
input.

To add to what Krishna asked, can you be a bit more specific on what
you're seeing (in log files or elsewhere) which leads you to believe
the data nodes are running out of capacity? Are map tasks failing?

If this is indeed a capacity issue, one thing you should ensure is
that map output comression is enabled. This doc from Cloudera explains
this (and the same information applies whether you're using CDH or
not) -
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/cdh4/latest/CDH4-Installation-Guide/cdh4ig_topic_23_3.html

In any case, apart from that there isn't any basic thing that you're
probably missing, so any additional information that you can supply
about what you're running into would be useful.

- Gabriel