Hi James,

Thank you for the info/validation. What I had in mind was the ability to define
the (HBase per cell) timestamp arbitrarily for each upsert statement, but more
broadly there seems to be at least three levels of granularity:

1)      Per cell/column timestamp – where each column in the upsert statement
could define a separate timestamp (this may make the syntax quite unwieldy, but
offers the most flexibility). At first glance this hurts my head especially wrt
honouring the timestamps on primary keys & secondary indexes that are defined
over multiple columns where a parts of the index/row could disappear at
different times.

2)      Per row timestamp – my original use-case where all of the cells in the
row receive the same timestamp.

3)      Per connection – As you say, probably the simplest/least impacting as
this could be passed as a connection property. I believe it will also be
possible to emulate (2) by using multiple connections, one per retention policy
duration, so maybe this is a good starting point.

I’m new to the project so will dive into the code to get my bearings before
pulling together a plan of attack.

Thanks again,

-Alex.