Hi Maryann,

I am wondering if you could help me understand how the Phoenix calcite
branch is using Calcite to do query optimizations

i.e.

   - some pointers to the code where the joins can detect whether a hash
   join or a sort merge join should be used for a given case
   - pointers to how the cost is calculated in the code
   - pointers to how the filter predicate push down is implemented in the
   code

Examples  would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Li