Hi,

I integrated one of the online services in my company with hbase using apache
phoenix, after loading few millions of records I noticed that we have hotspot
problem. All the records are going to one region as the keys are generated
using sequence.
Usecase is: each user has 1000’s of records with combination of userid and
second record id as rowkey (primary key uid, XXX). When user logs in we fetch
all records by using userid and render the results to user. But updates will
always be with combination (userid + XXX). Below are my questions.

 1.  If I salt the table using apache phoenix, is there any performance impact
on reads as the reads has to query all regions?
 2.  If I have to salt the table, how many buckets should I use for 8 regional
servers with 272 regions, roughly 33 regions for a regions server?
 3.  If I salt the table using phoenix, what is the effort to move away  from
pehonix and use the hbase client directly in later times ( not that I want to
but just checking the options)

Thanks for your help.

--
Vijay Vangapandu