I think he means its not a terribly expensive process - it is basically
just a fancy query proxy. If you are running a cluster any larger than 3
nodes you should seriously consider running at least a second or third
HMaster. When they are in standby mode they don't do very much - just watch
ZK for the leader lock. When active they very very rarely impact the path
of the client and you should be able to pretty easily ride over a hmaster
failover event.

However, given that it is a pretty new component, I would personally be
cautious putting it on nodes that affect the entire cluster health, like
the servers hosting ZK or the NN.

Just my $0.02