Thanks, Lukas.  Half the battle is won, now.  With your help I was able to
see the JSON used to perform the upsert.  Looks like my problem was that I
was not doing any "connectionSync" calls.  I had played around with the
"createStatement" before my upsert SQL, but I may not have stumbled across
the proper sequence.

It would have been nice if somewhere there were Avatica docs to let people
know what the sequence of calls must be.  For example:  first you do
connectionSync, second you do createStatement, then you
do prepareAndExecute, etc.

I'll try your tip for starting the 4.7 server in JSON mode sometime soon.