Just to add to James' comment, they're indeed complementary and it all
comes down to your own use case. Phoenix offers a convenient SQL interface
over HBase, which is capable of doing very fast queries. If you're just
doing insert / retrieval, it's unlikely that Spark will help you much there.

However, if you have requirements to do some of the types of "big data
processing" that Spark excels at, such as graph algorithms or machine
learning, the plugin allows you to access the data in Phoenix+HBase.

Good luck,

Josh