This is a non-issue...

Avatica's use of protobuf is completely shaded (relocated classes). You can use whatever version of protobuf in your client application you'd like.

Mark Heppner wrote:
If Cheyenne is talking about the query server, I'm not sure where you're
getting that from, Ted. It doesn't directly depend on protobufs, it's
pulled in from Avatica:
https://github.com/apache/phoenix/blob/v4.9.0-HBase-1.2/phoenix-queryserver/pom.xml
Avatica does use protobuf 3:
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/calcite-avatica-1.9.0/avatica/pom.xml

Cheyenne, could you try building with an earlier version of Avatica?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com