re #1, you need to ensure that the correct hbase-site.xml is on the classpath on your application. Phoenix does *not* do this for you.

Pradheep Shanmugam wrote:
Hi,

 1. When using phoenix thick client(4.4.0) at the application, where
    does the client hbase-site.xml reside..I don’t see one? Or does it
    pull the hbase-site.xml from the server before starting up?I do see
    the phoenix query time out set in the server side habse-site though
    it is client setting.
 2. When using phoenix thick client, does the client need extra memory
    to be allocated in general to run the queries and when it does
    operations like client merge sort. With mutiple such queries runnign
    at the same time?

Thanks,
Pradheep