Calls to put in the HBase shell, to the best of my knowledge, are synchronous. You should not have control returned to you until the update was committed by the RegionServers. HBase's data guarantees are that once a call to write data returns to you, all other readers *must* be able to see that update.

I'm not sure where this 3-5 second delay you describe is coming form.

Regardless, why are you writing data to HBase directly and circumventing the APIs to write data via Phoenix? If you want to access your data via Phoenix, you're going to run into less pain if you work completely at the Phoenix API level, (tl;dr use UPSERT to write data)