This question is better asked on the Phoenix users list.

The phoenix-client.jar is the one you need and is unique from the phoenix-core jar. Logging frameworks are likely not easily relocated/shaded to avoid issues which is why you're running into this.

Can you provide the error you're seeing with the play framework? Specifics here will help..