Hi Jack,

Given your assessment, it sounds like you've stumbled onto a race condition! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

A few questions:

* Have you checked if the same code exist in the latest branches/releases (4.x-HBase-1.{2,3,4} or master)?
* Want to create a Jira issue to track this? Else, I can do this for ya.