Are you trying to use the thick driver (direct HBase connection) or the thin driver (via Phoenix Query Server)? You're providing examples of both.

If the thick driver: by default, I believe that HDI configures a root znode of "/hbase" not "/hbase-unsecure" which would be a problem. You need to pass your ZK quorum which makes your 2nd HDI "example" nonsensical. You can read the Phoenix home page for information about how to construct a Phoenix JDBC URL for the thick driver at https://phoenix.apache.org/#connStr

If you are still having troubles, I'd suggest that you clarify exactly what you want to do (rather than everything you tried) and include the error you ran into.