Can you share the output you see from the EXPLAIN? Does it differ between times it's "fast" and times it's "slow"?

Sharing the table(s) DDL statements would also help, along with the shape and version of your cluster (e.g. Apache Phoenix 4.14.2 with 8 RegionServers).

Spit-balling ideas:

Could be reads over the SYSTEM.CATALOG table or the SYSTEM.STATS table.

Have you looked more coarsely at the RegionServer logs/metrics? Any obvious saturation issues (e.g. handlers consumed, JVM GC pauses, host CPU saturation)?

Turn on DEBUG log4j client side (beware of chatty ZK logging) and see if there's something obvious from when the EXPLAIN is slow.