Food for thought, what if the metastore were moved to Howl more
aggressively?  It seems like the end state everyone's aiming for is
that Hive and Pig share Howl as a metastore layer, which makes all
kinds of sense..  would it increase the chances of long term success
if you guys just went for it and introduced the Hive->Howl dependency
as soon as possible?  It would probably create some short term
disruption but it could be more healthy for Howl assuming that things
were worked out, design choices could be validated faster, you have
that end-to-end "it works" thing going, etc.