Thanks for your feedback. My comments below.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Daniel Dai <jiany...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Curious, couple of questions:
> 1. Are you running in local mode or mapreduce mode?

Local mode (-x local) when I ran it on my laptop, and mapreduce mode when I
ran it on ec2 cluster.

2. If mapreduce mode, did you look into the hadoop log to see how much slow
> down each mapreduce job does?

I'm looking into that.

> 3. What kind of query is it?
>
> The input is gzipped json files which has one event per line. Then I do
some hourly aggregation on the raw events, then do bunch of groupping,
joining and some metrics computing (like median, variance) on some fields.

Daniel

>  Someone mentioned it's EC2's I/O performance. But I'm sure there are
plenty of people using EC2/EMR running big MR jobs so more likely I have
some configuration issues? My jobs can be optimized a bit but the fact that
running on my laptop is faster tells me this is a separate issue.

Thanks!