On Oct 5, 2011, at 5:21 AM, Alex Rovner wrote:

> Alan,
>
> We are looking into integrating with the HCatalog and I have the following
> questions:
>
> 1. In your opinion, how stable is the HCatalog?

We have a comprehensive test suite that we run on HCatalog regularly, as does
Yahoo.  Also, Yahoo is running it on some of their clusters.  It is a fairly
young project but at its core is Hive's metastore, which is mature and well
tested.

> 2. On the install page it mentions the creation of the hive metastore db.
> What if we are already using Hive and have an existing metastore db in
> MySQL? What versions of Hive is the HCatalog compatible with?

HCatalog requires Hive metastore 0.7.1 plus a few patches, none of which change
the database schema.  We have tested it with the 0.7.1 Hive client and Hive
trunk.

Alan.