Most companies handling BigData use LZO, a few have started exploring/using
Snappy as well (which is not any easier to configure). These are the 2
splittable fast-compression algorithms. Note Snappy is not efficient
space-wise compared to gzip or other compression algos, but a lot faster
(ideal for compression between Map and Reduce)

Is there any repeated/heavy computation involved on the outputs other than
pushing this data to a database? If not, may be its fine to use gzip but
you have to make sure the individual files are close to the block size, or
you will have a lot of unnecessary IO transfers taking place.  If you read
the outputs to perform further Map Reduce computation, gzip is not the best.

-Prashant