Thanks for the pointers Prashant. I will take a look at PigStorage.

I have a system for storing metadata, so users don't have to specify it.

With respect to the properties, I guess my question is, are the ones
passed in from the command line via -p stored in Property or
Configuration from the UDFContext? What's the difference between
Property and Configuration?

Thanks.