Thank you for the suggestions.

Writing a custom LoadFunc seems like a valid solution for me, given that I
don't currently have Hive or HCatalog installed and I'm working on more of an
ad-hoc problem at this point.

HCatalog seems like a good solution for doing this type of thing on a repeated
basis and with many data sets. I will read up on it for sure.