CROSS is grossly expensive to compute so I’m not surprised that the
performance is good enough. Are you repeating your LOAD and FILTER op’s for
every one of your small files? At the end of the day, what is it that
you’re trying to accomplish? Find the 1 row you’re after and attach to all
rows in your big file?

In terms of using DistributedCache, if you’re computing the cross product
of two (and no more than two) relations, AND one of the relations is small
enough to fit in memory, you can use a replicated JOIN instead which would
be much more performant.

A = LOAD 'small';
B = LOAD 'big';
C = JOIN B BY 1, A BY 1 USING 'replicated';
dump C;

Note that the smaller relation that will be loaded into memory needs to be
specified second in the JOIN statement.

Also keep in mind that HDFS doesn't perform well with lots of small files.
If you're design has (lots of) small files, you might benefit from loading
that data into some database (e.g. HBase).