I did some additional testing myself and I now have the "smallest possible"
way to reproduce the effect I see.

I was able to reproduce the problem I'm facing by simply trying to run an
existing unit test from pig without modification of the code at all.

https://github.com/nielsbasjes/pig-loader-testing

So what I did:

Create a very simple pom.xml
Download
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/pig/branch-0.13/test/org/apache/pig/builtin/mock/TestMockStorage.java
and put it in the right directory.

Now when you run

mvn test

I see:

java.lang.RuntimeException: No data for location 'bar'
>     at org.apache.pig.builtin.mock.Storage$Data.get(Storage.java:327)
>     at
> org.apache.pig.builtin.mock.TestMockStorage.testMockStoreAndLoad(TestMockStorage.java:55)

and

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
> Expected :{a: chararray,b: chararray}
> Actual   :null

and

java.lang.RuntimeException: No data for location 'output'
>     at org.apache.pig.builtin.mock.Storage$Data.get(Storage.java:327)
>     at
> org.apache.pig.builtin.mock.TestMockStorage.testMockStoreUnion(TestMockStorage.java:106)

Any help suggestions to what I'm doing wrong is very welcome.

Niels Basjes

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Niels Basjes <ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written a Pig Loader and I want to make unit tests for it that
> actually use it from Pig.
>
> It's a Maven project and as a first attempt I created a testing class and
> tried to create a java based unit test by doing something similar to this:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pig/trunk/test/org/apache/pig/builtin/mock/TestMockStorage.java
>
> I couldn't get it to work so I copied the exact method
> testMockStoreAndLoad and I still get this error:
> *java.lang.RuntimeException: No data for location 'bar'*
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed?
>
> --
> Best regards
>
> Niels Basjes

Niels Basjes