I'm using POI 3.2-FINAL on Windows/XP SP3.
My program is opening an Excel template file (.xlt - 2003 version) and
creating rows/cells to fill the work sheet with data which comes from a
separate system.
The feature allows my customer to export there data to .xls, so the customer
creates the Excel template file, which includes some column headers (in row
1) as well as some background colors/boarders on cells, etc.

What I want to do is go through my customer's data and create a row in the
worksheet for each row of data.

When the data is alphanumeric, I just use "setCellValue()" to set the value
and it comes out fine. When the data is a date value, I want to apply a
Date-based data format to the cell. So that I don't lose the background
color (and other formatting) applied to the template by the customer, I get
the cell's style (using getCellStyle()), apply my Date format to it, then
set it back, as follows:

[QUOTE]
HSSFDataFormat dataFormat = wb.createDataFormat();
short dateFormat = dataFormat.getFormat("m/d/yy");
HSSFCell cell = ... use row.getCell(cell-number) to get the cell
cell.setCellValue(my java.util.Date value);
HSSFStyle localStyle = cell.getCellStyle()
localStyle.setDataFormat(dateFormat);
cell.setCellStyle(localStyle);
[/QUOTE]

The above code does set the date value into the cell, and sets the format
for the cell to Date
with a format of "m/d/yy" as desired. However, subsequent cells in the row
which contain
numeric values end up with the same Date formatting.

When I have a numeric value, I just use cell.setCellValue(my double value) -
because it looks to me like setCellValue(double) will set the cell type
appropriately.

Why when I set a style on one cell, it is picked-up by a subsequent column?

I can't just create a generic style for use by all cells, because the
customer will set cell-specific styles (like background color, etc.) on
individual cells, and I don't want to overwrite those.

Can anyone explain what I need to do?

Thanks,