I'm joining Mark in his comments.

> No apology is necessary but I do need to warn you that HWPF is still an
> immature API that is very much in need of support from developers - that is
> a less than subtle hint by the way.

Anyone with the HWPF "itch", please, please, please step up and show us your
"stuff".

If your bosses really want full HWPF then tell them about the benefits of
joining an open source project - the opportunity to influence development of a
well known and widely used library making it even better.

> The problem is that pretty soon after completing the first iteration of the
> API, the lead developer accepted a new job that involved him signing a
> non-disclosure agreement with Microsoft. As a result, he is prevented from
> even discussing the work he completed on the API and it has unfortunately
> languished somewhat. If you do want to get involved in developing the API
> futher, take a look at this page - http://poi.apache.org/hwpf/index.html
> where you can find a link to the document Microsoft published detailing the
> binary file format which would be a very good place to start.

On the page Mark refers to it talks about nagging a particular person. Instead
an interested developer who has created patches for HWPF will need to get on
the POI Dev list and start telling us what they have done. Repeatedly.

Regards,
Dave