You may let a Servlet produce an Excel file as an output.
Your users will download the file and will view it externally to the
browser, except if they are using IE they will see it embeded.

There is no way to embed the application (MS Excel) in a web browser
other than IE, or at least without plugins (don't know if even
exists).

The best solution for this could be to open the file using POI to
extract information an let the user view this
information using html/javascript (say using JSP, JSF, etc).

There will be some code done for this, try googling for these solutions.

Regards

--
ちりも積もれば山となる