On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Chris Bamford wrote:
Good idea. I ran the validator on the els file and it fails. Not sure I understand all the details, though! Here’s the output:

<BFFValidation path="z:\Downloads\file.xls" datetime="08/01/14 16:58:33" result="FAILED">

This is the main bit - result=FAILED. Your file isn't a valid Excel file, based on the spec

If Excel loads the file, then it probably isn't that far off. With the file, we might be able to add a suitable workaround too. Without it, you'll need to do that, and submit a patch! Start by identifying the problem record (maybe with BiffViewer), then look at the hex dump of the stream (POIFSViewer) and compare that with the file format docs ([MS-XLS].pdf) to see where it differs

Nick