Could you please include the Excel file that is causing this problem
and a SSCCE (short, self-contained correct example)? Without this
information, we are unable to reproduce this problem. A link to a
discussion of this problem on a Docjure forum or mailing list or an
open bug may be helpful.

It's cool to see POI getting used in other libraries, especially
libraries written in languages other than Java (my projects that use
POI are written in Jython). The folks on this mailing list may be less
familiar with clojure, so if you're comfortable writing the SSCCE in
Java, there would be a wider audience who would be able to help. The
SSCCE should preferably directly call the POI API rather than calling
docjure which calls POI.

A few questions:
Do you get this error using other spreadsheets with docjure?
Does the referenced spreadsheet open in a modern version of Microsoft
Excel, LibreOffice, or OpenOffice without any corruption errors?
What version of POI are you using?
Is the referenced spreadsheet password-protected?