As Adrián mentioned, 255 characters is an Excel format limitation that POI
adheres to.

Did you get this exception from calling setCellWidth or autoSizeColumn? The
former should raise an exception, but the latter should probably quietly
clip the auto-sized column width to 255 characters if best fit width is
wider.

Please open a bug at bz.apache.org/bugzilla iff autoSizeColumn throws an
illegal value error if best-fit-width exceeds 255 characters.